Pages

Saturday 13 May 2023

Suprising sight on road to Leeds, Yorkshire



I was driving over to visit Temple Newsam in Leeds to take some photos for the Leeds photo daily. I passed this chap, a rag and bone man, incredible! I did a smart u-turn, very pleased to have my camera on the passenger seat.

As a boy I used to go and spend holidays with my mothers parents in Plaistow in East London, in those days rag & bone men were a common sight. I recall once hearing the sound "raa boh" and going out to swap one of my mothers coats for a goldfish. It took me a long afternoon tracking down the cart to recover mums coat, else it would have been "wait till your father hears about this". Ooops.!

This chap did not mind me with camera, he just leapt out of the picture. We had a little chat about me not seeing another in the last 30 odd years. When I told him about the goldfish, he said that must have been a long time ago, very true.

His horse is called "Tommy".

Linda - Gold Coast said... I so remember the rag and bone man. Our rag and bone man would give us donkey stones (which were scouring blocks to clean stone steps - check out wikipedia.org "donkey stones"). What would he give today I wonder?

Tommy is such a beauty, I just hope and pray he is safe on the busy roads.

Lovely sunny day - thanks again for a terrific photo.

March 22, 2009 9:39 AM Nancy said... Fantastic story. I've never heard of a rag and bone man before.

March 22, 2009 8:04 PM Jacob said... Wonderful photo and great story. I've never heard of rag and bone men...what means "bone"?

March 22, 2009 8:07 PM marley said... That is a blast from the past! I'll have to ask my Gran if she saw it. We used to visit Temple Newsam at Easter when we'd stop with my Gran. I hope you'll share some photos. Do they still have the farm there?

March 22, 2009 9:44 PM lunarossa said... Reminds me of old "Steptoe and Son"....Ciao. A.

March 22, 2009 10:32 PM Lois said... What a nice picture! It always pays to keep your camera handy because you never know what you will see!

March 22, 2009 10:43 PM Steffe said... That is a bit surprising, and a fantastic find for 2009!

March 22, 2009 11:54 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revamped Briggate Shop Leeds

Picture of Topshop Briggate Leeds. Normally I would never feature a chin shop like Topshop on the Leeds Daily Photo but these are ...