Pages

Saturday 1 April 2023

Holy Spirit Church



Two days back I visited another Leeds church, Holy Spirit Parish Church at Beeston, Leeds. I used to pass this church quite often many years ago, but I rarely travel to Beeston these days and had never looked around Holy Spirit. It had rather slipped by me until I was reading the website for Treasures Revealed in Leeds a few days back and discovered that time is running out for this early Edwardian church. Jack the treasurer of the church was kind and gave me a viewing of the church at short notice. The day was very dull and also it was raining heavily both prior to my arrival and also when I left. Not a good day to make a fine old building look at its best. The church opened back in 1903, being built in Gothic Revival style. Inside there are some rather nice old carved wooden panel and other pieces. The church is surprisingly large, being bigger than I had thought. Today it is listed as Grade II and its future as a building is very uncertain, there is no vicar and it is soon to close as a church. The church of the Holy Spirit on Tempest Road, Beeston is open for Treasures Revealed on Sun 6th May from 10am - 4pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revamped Briggate Shop Leeds

Picture of Topshop Briggate Leeds. Normally I would never feature a chin shop like Topshop on the Leeds Daily Photo but these are ...