Pages

Thursday 20 April 2023

Polar Bear Coat?



I came across this advert in an old Leeds trade directory, it was quite a while back since I first copied it but it is pre 1914-18 war.

It was the subject matter that got my attention.

The advertisement for the International Fur Store on Regent Street in London reads "The finest furs in the very latest fashions" and goes on "Surpreme good taste". Now I am not a tree hugger or squeamish but there are in the drawing a polar bear, squirrel, two foxes, a seal with pup and what looks to me to be an ocelot. Perhaps it is just as well that fashions have changed as I really cannot think of any excuse for wearing the fur of a polar bear, unless you happen to be a polar bear!

It also says "Carriage, motor and travelling rugs in great variety" and "Gentlemen's fur lined overcoats ready for immediate wear"

Vicki said... "I really cannot think of any excuse for wearing the fur of a polar bear, unless you happen to be a polar bear."

Agreed!

What an amazing glimpse into our past, but what a shocking advertisement. Imagine the outcry if it was published today.

JANUARY 19, 2011 3:30 AM sixmats said... The times, they are a changin'.

JANUARY 19, 2011 12:34 PM raskolniikov said... we were savages back then. hey wait a minute, we still are, just in different clothes and with different manners! :-)

JANUARY 19, 2011 11:00 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revamped Briggate Shop Leeds

Picture of Topshop Briggate Leeds. Normally I would never feature a chin shop like Topshop on the Leeds Daily Photo but these are ...