Pages

Sunday 2 April 2023

From Cannon to Post Box



This photograph shows a double post box used by the Royal Mail which stands on Briggate, Leeds close to the John Dyson building I posted about when I first started the Leeds photo daily.

This is a standard double mail box seen in most cities around the UK, the thing that caught my eye was the inscription at the bottom of the photo "Carron Company Stirlingshire". I am interested in the military of the Napoleonic era, and know that Carron produced cannon for both the British Navy and the British Army during that time. Indeed the Carron company produced a type of cannon called a "Carronade" that was part of the armament of Nelson's flagship HMS Victory.

This week my internet connection will be connected again at my flat, so my posts on this blog should be a lot simpler. I have taken lots of photographs in and around Leeds over the past few weeks but posting them onto the Leeds daily photo has involded using friends broadband connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revamped Briggate Shop Leeds

Picture of Topshop Briggate Leeds. Normally I would never feature a chin shop like Topshop on the Leeds Daily Photo but these are ...