Pages

Tuesday 14 March 2023

Autumn Leeds Churchyard



Picture of St Stephen Kirkstall churchyard in Autumn Leeds.

Yesterday was a damp and very dull day here in Leeds. Driving through Kirkstall I stopped off at the church of St Stephen to have another look at the churchyard before the leaves have gone.

By chance as I passed the church doorway I noticed someone waiting, the meter reader come to read the church electricity meter. So I got to look inside the church of St Stephen and the treasurer told me a little of the history.

The North window is I think the best one and a stunning example of the art of making stained glass windows. There is a coloured drawing of the window hanging on a wall opposite, I believe done by the makers James Powell and Sons of Whitefriars, London. I will photograph these on another day that is not quite so dull. Stained glass photography I find does not need a sunny day but you do need a reasonable amount of light behind the glass. I have photographed the windows in many churches here in this bit of Yorkshire, some for my Leeds photography and this blog and others further afield because its a subject that interests me.

On a different note, a chance remark as we parted led to another story for this Leeds blog about some alms houses in Kirkstall but I will have to find them another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revamped Briggate Shop Leeds

Picture of Topshop Briggate Leeds. Normally I would never feature a chin shop like Topshop on the Leeds Daily Photo but these are ...