Pages

Monday 17 April 2023

Zack and John Above Arncliffe in Yorkshire



In this photograph are my good friends Zack and John, in the distance is Arncliffe, a small village in Littondale, North Yorkshire.

This photo was taken a couple of summers ago, when I took the two of them walking from Malham over the moor to Arncliffe. I think it is probable that neither Zack nor John had any idea how big Yorkshire is when you are on foot. When we arrived back at the car both of them had a much better idea.

By the end of of the day I think we walked around 15 miles, not the most direct route. Not bad considering it is cross country and up hill and down dale and at least two of our party did not realise you could travel 15 miles without a car!

Arncliffe was the original setting for the fictional village of Beckindale in the ITV soap Emmerdale Farm. I used to watch it back in its early days and learnt quite a bit about Yorkshire long before I moved up here.

Emmerdale Farm was filmed in the village of Esholt from 1976 a village between Shipley and Guiseley.

Today the renamed (1989) Emmerdale is filmed on a purpose built set, located on the Harewood estate where it has been since 1998.

Abe Lincoln said... If there is anything more fascinating about your country then I don't know it. I have, for years, been thinking in terms of Robin Hood and Sherwood forest. And I envisioned a flat plain with humongous oak trees from shore to shore. Then I see your views and Tom's, of Wigger's World, and realize it has lots of hills and dales and some, like this scene, are way up there. Those poor dudes must have been chafed in the groin by the time they made it safely back to their car. And the beauty of the scene is the little tiny houses at the bottom. It surely must also mean some really great flying for those who jump off cliffs and sledding for those on a suicide mission.

JUNE 23, 2009 12:18 PM Lois said... Looks like beautiful countryside!

JUNE 23, 2009 1:49 PM Steffe said... I think I watched one or two episodes, but it was more a show that my parents watched. Walking in nature is always rewarding. Doing it with a couple of friends, even better.

JUNE 23, 2009 7:50 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revamped Briggate Shop Leeds

Picture of Topshop Briggate Leeds. Normally I would never feature a chin shop like Topshop on the Leeds Daily Photo but these are ...