Pages

Sunday 19 February 2023

Ladies Waiting Room - Oakworth



This photo shows the ladies waiting room at Oakworth station on the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway. The KWVR is today run by volunteers and is a marvel whereby the public can travel back in time on a railway with steam engines and lots of informative railway staff. This year is the 40th anniversary of the cinema film The Railway Children and Oakworth station and indeed the whole KWVR feature in the film. I can still recall Perks shouting "Oakworth, Oakwoorrtthh" when a train pulled into the station. The actor Bernard Cribbens will always to me be Mr Perks the station porter in this marvelous film. One of the things I like about my Leeds daily photo blog is that I can explore places that normally without my trusty Canon would be off limits. Todays post is one such place the ladies waiting room at Oakworth. It still has gas lighting and a working coal fire. When I entered there was a lady walker warming herself at the fireplace and I asked if she minded my intrusion and as you can see from the picture there was no problem. As someone who travels on the modern railway often, I would really appreciate the old fashioned charm of this station rather than the cold charmless rooms available today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revamped Briggate Shop Leeds

Picture of Topshop Briggate Leeds. Normally I would never feature a chin shop like Topshop on the Leeds Daily Photo but these are ...